Euro (€) is the currency of Greece.
Banks in Thessaloniki
There are major bank institutions (Greek and International) available in Thessaloniki, easily accessible, where the staff can communicate in English language. All banks are open to the public from Monday to Thursday from 8:00 to 14:30, except Friday where they close at 14:00. There are banks in Thessaloniki, where some branches are open until late evening hours:
- Alpha bank: 43 Tsimiski St, daily until 17:00.
- Euro bank: Cosmos Mediterranean – 11 Km Thessaloniki – Moudanion Road, +30 2310 474.930, open daily 10:00-17:30 and Saturday 10:15 – 15:00.
- Euro bank: Eleftherias Sq, 7 Ionos Dragoumi, +30 2310 018.980, open daily 8:00-17:30 and Saturday 10:15 – 15:00.
- TT Hellenic Post bank: 14 Aristotelous St, +30 2310 279.685, 241.044, 220.329, 275,590, Monday – Tuesday – Wednesday – Thursday: 07:30 – 18:45, Friday: 07:30 – 18:00.
Also, there is an extended network of ATMs, which can serve all major credit cards.
Greece is in the Eastern European Time Zone (GMT+2). Like most countries in Europe, the summer (Daylight-Saving) Time is (GMT+3).
Greece’s Country Code
Greece’s Country Code is: +30 + phone number.
Health Care and Safety
You should feel perfectly safe to eat and drink everything and the tab water all over Greece is absolutely safe. Residents of E.U. countries are eligible for receiving free emergency medical care.
- Emergency ambulance service: 166
- On-duty hospitals, clinics, doctors & pharmacies: 1434
- Police (emergency number): 100
Climate – Weather Conditions in September
Thessaloniki combines the Mediterranean and the Mid-European temperature climates. Situated next to the sea, the city’s climate is directly affected by it. Specifically, the month September is characterized by is characterized by falling daily high temperatures, with daily highs decreasing from 29°C to 24°C over the course of the month, exceeding 32°C or dropping below 20°C only one day in ten.
The closest quality beach you can visit from Thessaloniki for a quick swim is located in Perea, less than 20 kilometers from the city center. The beach there is usually quiet and the quality is quite good. For those looking to venture a bit further away from the city to enjoy the sun, the province of Halkidiki is literally full of spotless beaches and pristine coastlines waiting to be explored.
Weather conditions in September can be described as follows:
- Average sunlight: 11 hours
- Average min temperature: 15*C
- Average max temperature: 27°C
- Average precipitation: 26mm
Shopping in Thessaloniki
Greece is the ideal place to shop a wide variety of products. Prices are reasonable and there are goods for all budgets. Shops are open (during summer period) Monday through Friday from 09.00 till 21.00. On Saturdays shops stay open from 09.00 till 15.00, while they are closed on Sundays.
Malls and big stores operate:
- Monday-Friday: 09:00 – 21:00
- Saturday: 09:00 – 18:00 or 20:00
Shops, boutiques and other commercial markets, operate:
- Monday/ Wednesday/ Saturday: 09:00 – 15:00
- Tuesday/ Thursday/Friday: 09:00 – 14:30 and 17:30 – 21:00